Sunday, May 2, 2010

Updates: Part 1 - Health scare

I know that I haven't been a good blogger for months. Things got crazy and I decided that blogging had to take a backseat. There have been hundreds of hours of wedding research and planning. So much planning. There has been work, family, and even a little drama.

I also had a bizarre health scare. I had a pink mark on my forehead that looked like I might have burned myself with a curling iron. It was there for quite a while, and I didn't think much of it. I didn't know where it came from, I just figured it was some little bit of skin irritation, maybe a spot of eczema or psoriasis, or some other skin condition I don't know much of anything about. I wasn't particularly concerned about it. While I was at a dentist appointment, my dentist noticed the spot and encouraged me to get it checked out by a dermatologist. I knew it was probably the smart thing to do, so I unenthusiastically agreed. The dermatologist took one look at it and said, "Yeah, I think that's probably skin cancer." I nearly choked. My exact response was to sputter, "What?! Why would I have that?!" She shrugged and said, "Usually from sun exposure." I continued to gawk at her and squeaked, "Have you seen me?! I'm practically an albino!" Plus, I've had bangs my whole life because I've always hated my big forehead. The doctor cut a little chunk out of my forehead, and about a week later it was confirmed. I had basal cell carcinoma.

I hated my forehead, and it gave me skin cancer!

Alright, probably not. But either way, I ended up with a patch of mutant cells that turned out to be cancer. I had to have surgery to remove the cancer. They basically took a melon-baller to my forehead, then stitched me back up. Now I have what I refer to as my Harry Potter scar.

Hopefully the darn thing will fade more by October, but overall I'm just thankful that if I had to have an experience with cancer, I got the least scary option. Nothing like a little health scare to make you appreciate the good things in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment