Monday, May 3, 2010

Updates: Part 2 - Wedding registry complications

Another bit of excitement involved our wedding registry. Dylan and I have been together for five years. We've lived together for several of those. We're not 20 year olds just starting out, so we didn't have that much that we wanted to register for. We decided that the main thing we did want to register for were nice dishes. Nothing too formal, but something that we loved and that we'd be proud to use when we entertain. We found these gorgeous dishes.

They're part of the Martha Stewart Collection with Wedgewood. Pictures don't do them justice. They have this beautiful texture, like eyelet lace. They come in slightly different patterns so you can mix and match. When I first saw them, I got that tingle that people say you will get when you find the perfect wedding dress. I like my wedding dress, but I love these dishes. Dylan probably doesn't care about dishes nearly as much as I do, but these were also his favorites of the many patterns we had seen. So, of course, they were discontinued. They were discontinued in February. Our wedding isn't until October. That meant that by the time people were starting to think about getting us a wedding gift, those dishes would no longer be available. We were so disappointed!

Thankfully, with the help of a couple of relatives, a good friend, and our rainy day fund, we got our dishes! It took a lot of time and work, and bless the local Macy's employees who went out of their way to help us. We ended up buying or ordering all of the dishes on clearance, during a One Day Sale, with a newly opened Macy's account, so we got an amazing deal at least. I don't think there's any way we could've gotten them otherwise. Every time I look at our china hutch, it makes me happy.

I made us whole-wheat spaghetti with browned butter and mizithra cheese served in our wedding china!


Now that we've purchased a large part of our own wedding registry, we're having to re-think what to register for. We've decided besides the traditional registries, we'd also like to give the option of donating to the ASPCA or the Humane Society since we're both such animal lovers.

What about the other brides-to-be out there? Are any of you registering for something extra special, or unique?

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog through Project wedding. Many of your inspiration boards there are similar to the kind of feel I'm going for as well.
    Congrats on the dishes and I look forward to reading more as your plans progress! :)

    ReplyDelete